|View this email in your browser |
|A NEWSLETTER FOR PROSPECTIVE FAMILIES ||FEBRUARY 2016 |
As a new building goes up on the Lower School campus, our design team talks about how learning spaces can inspire new ways of thinking and working together. Learn more
Baseball, Bath Bombs, Dinosaurs & Drones
Middle School Project Week in January gave students a chance to explore creative activities. Possibilities included conducting a mock interview
with Brian Cashman at Yankee Stadium, building a life-sized woolly mammoth
, preparing skin-softening bath bombs
, and programming drones
powered by sound. Learn more
In the design engineering class, students designed and built clocks using math, digital design programs, and computer-assisted tools. Knowledge of gear ratios required. Learn more.
LOWER SCHOOL James Duval
(New Lower School Head )
James Duval, head of the Lower School at the Barcelona International School, will join the RCS community this summer. Learn more.
MIDDLE SCHOOL Caroline Boyajian
Caroline Boyajian, an English teacher for the sixth and seventh grade, emphasizes the process associated with effective analytical writing. Learn more.
UPPER SCHOOL Dwight Vidale '01
(Director of Community Engagement)
Dwight Vidale, the organizer of the citywide Young Men of Color Symposium, creates leadership opportunities for students. Learn more.
The Riverdale Experience
| GOOD TO KNOW |
- Revisit events are coming soon. We hope you’ll come back and visit us! Please see your decision letter for details. Would you like to connect with a current Riverdale student, family, or faculty member? If so, let us know, and we'll reach out to make a connection.
- Summer is an exciting time at Riverdale. ESF offers day camps and sports camps on our campus. Click here for more information. Interested in bots, code, art, photography, game design, Maker projects? How about a 40-hour mini-musical challenge? Riverdale's Project Knowmad for Middle and Upper School students is led by the Riverdale faculty and offers a range of creative workshops throughout the summer. Click here for details.
- A story in Architectural Record features the child-centered design of the temporary classrooms at the Lower School campus.
- Two parent workshops on how to help students better focus and manage their busy schedules may be viewed on the Riverdale website.
- The Teachers Guild, a joint venture between Riverdale and the design firm of IDEO, is working with Michelle Obama's Better Make Room and Reach Higher initiatives to develop new pathways to college.
- We encourage you to follow us on social media for the latest Riverdale happenings. See links below.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Riverdale Country School is a Pre-K through Grade 12 independent school in New York City committed to empowering lifelong learners by developing minds, building character, and creating community in order to change our world for the good.
5250 Fieldston Road, Bronx, NY 10471
Lower School: (718) 549-7780, Middle/Upper School: (718) 549-8810