Artists and Speakers
Every week, the Middle School comes together for events that focus on community building, social justice, civic engagement, environmental awareness, internet use and privacy, and artistic expression.
In 2015-2016, we will explore the theme of belonging and consider how we can make the Riverdale community more inclusive, respectful, and supportive. Writers, performers, activists and others will visit the school to talk about their work. For a listing of current events, click here.
Last year, guests included the dance company Kyle Abraham/Abraham.In.Motion; the urban Latin dance theater company, CONTRA-TIEMPO; Marlon Krieger, a visual storyteller and documentary photographer; filmmakers from Girl Rising; Alex Myers, the author of Revolutionary; Amirah Sackett, a Muslim hip-hop artist; Center for the Arts in Port-au-Prince, Haiti; Jack Andraka, a teenage scientist and author; and survivors of Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and the Fall of Saigon, who spoke about how world history impacted their personal lives.
You can read about some of these events here:
- Hip-Hop Dancer Performs "We're Muslim, Don't Panic" at Middle School Assembly
- Author Discusses Gender With Middle School Students
- Dance As Activism
- A Haitian Girl Rising
- A Character Lesson From Quintin Demps
- A-Bomb Survivors Advocate For Peace
- Teen Change Agent: Determination Drives Innovation
- Remembering The Fall of Saigon