Riverdale Country School is committed to empowering lifelong learners by developing minds, building character, and creating community in order to change our world for the good.
1907: Frank Sutliff Hackett founds the school, serving as head until 1949. Classes begin in Tower House for 12 boys.
1909: Fencing team competes in the school's first interscholastic athletic event with the Hackley School.
1917: Football introduced.
1920: After a period of gradual expansion, the rest of the 12-acre site now known as the Hill Campus is purchased. A dormitory for boarding students is constructed, and first through third graders are admitted to what will later become the Neighborhood School.
1933-1935: The Riverdale Country School for Girls opens in 1933. Two years later the school moves to the George Perkins estate, an 1870 mansion on the Hudson River, currently the home of our Lower School's River Campus.
1972: The Neighborhood School, the Boys School, and the Girls School are combined in a single coeducational school.
1997: Final negotiations are completed for the purchase of 7.5 acres adjacent to the Hill Campus. Added to the Hill and River Campuses, this parcel brings the school's holdings to 27.5 acres, increasing the land area of the Upper School by 63%.
2007: Dominic A.A. Randolph becomes sixth head of school.
1,155 students in PreK-Grade 12
385 in the Lower School
260 in the Middle School
510 in the Upper School
50% boys, 50% girls
37% students of color
104 zip codes represented (65% Manhattan, 20% Bronx, 10% Westchester, 5% NJ, Brooklyn, Queens, and CT combined)
16:1 in Upper School classes
16:1 in Middle School classes
20:2 in Lower School classes
More than 5,900 active alumni in Riverdale's alumni network
10 alumni currently working at Riverdale
$8.4 million awarded annually
20% of student body receives need-based financial assistance
University of Pennsylvania
Johns Hopkins University
University of Michigan