We seek diversity in our faculty, staff, and student body. In admissions and employment policies and practices, in scholarship aid programs, and in all of our educational programs, Riverdale does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, ethnic origin, or sexual orientation.
For general employment information or questions, please email Laurie A. Tostanoski, human resources director: email@example.com.
If you are interested in employment at the Lower School, please email James P. Duval, head of Lower School: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in employment at the Middle and Upper School, please email Richard Lapidus, dean of faculty: email@example.com.
Riverdale Country School is a highly regarded pre-kindergarten through grade 12 independent college-preparatory school that provides a rigorous and stimulating academic program, which encourages independent thinking and creativity as well as respect for the diverse interests and backgrounds of others.
Currently in year five of a seven-year, $100 million, comprehensive campaign, Riverdale seeks a Director of Leadership Giving to join a dynamic and highly productive office. Reporting to the Acting Chief Development Officer, the Director of Leadership Giving will help manage a major gifts fundraising plan, with an emphasis on donor relationships, solicitation activities, and stewardship of high-capacity prospects.
The Director of Leadership Giving will work closely with the Acting Chief Development Officer and Head of School to ensure the success of the current $100,000,000 R+ Campaign. S/he will design and execute cultivation and solicitation strategies to secure major gifts from a variety of constituents including trustees, alumni, current and past parents, grandparents, and foundations. S/he will proactively manage a pool of 150+ donors and prospects with the capacity and inclination to make five- to seven-figure leadership gifts. In addition, the Director of Leadership Giving will provide thoughtful management of and guidance to the Development Officer and Manager of Campaign Reporting & Research.
- Identify and prioritize campaign prospects; participate in prospect assessment and assignment processes
- Develop strategies and cultivate relationships that lead to solicitation and stewardship of major gifts
- Verify pledge commitments and gift agreements; oversee and execute pledge collection
- Provide strategic direction and guidance for the Development Officer and Manager of Campaign Reporting & Research
- Work with development colleagues to plan and execute relevant cultivation events and donor recognition opportunities
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
The successful candidate will have experience working and cultivating relationships with diverse constituencies and proficiency soliciting major gifts. S/he should possess a commitment to Riverdale Country School’s mission, have a passion for education, enjoy multi-tasking, and work collaboratively with colleagues, alumni, parents, volunteers, and other members of the Riverdale community. The ideal candidate will have past involvement in a fundraising campaign.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- 5+ years fundraising experience, ideally in an independent school, college, or university environment
- Proven track record of donor solicitation and demonstrated success soliciting and closing major gifts
- Appreciation of Riverdale’s mission and the ability to effectively communicate it
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with Veracross or comparable fundraising database
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders of all levels
- Capacity to both work independently and thrive in a team environment
- Willingness and ability to travel and work outside normal working hours, as needed
Interested applicants should email their resumes and cover letters to Cicely Upham, Development Associate, at firstname.lastname@example.org or via regular mail to Riverdale Country School, Attn: Cicely Upham, 5250 Fieldston Road, Bronx, NY 10471.