The student council members represent each grade, as well as each homebase. As a group, they go through an orientation and a series of workshops, at the beginning of the year, that centers on what it means to be a leader, what is effective leadership, being good role models, and modeling positive behavior and school spirit.
Each student council meeting is run by the president and vice president, who call the meeting to order, as well as for a motion to conclude the meeting. It is entirely student-run and directed with the head of middle school serving as an advisor. There is a secretary who keeps record of the meetings and who posts minutes of all meetings on a public site. They are directly responsible for helping to set the agenda of events for the school year, and they establish a list of goals and strategies to bring as many of these events to fruition. In the past, this has included the following:
- Collaborative work with the community in Hunts Point, with the Hunts Point Alliance for Children (HPAC), and with St. Ignatius School
- Planning the annual dinner, hosted at school, for Hunts Point residents
- Organizing the annual dance-a-thon and selectxing organizations to receive proceeds
- The president and vice president occasionally running the MS morning meetings
- Organizing fun events at morning meetings, such as "minute to win it" and the talent shows
- Infusing school spirit by organizing the division-wide 3-on-3 tournament, jersey day, Halloween costume day, pajama day, and other events