Learning with Riverdale
Riverdale welcomes opportunities to share our resources, campuses, and expertise with outside organizations. The school hosts seminars, courses, and workshops related to teaching and education. Through PLUSSED+, a learning design studio and consultancy started at Riverdale and directed by Head of School Dominic A.A. Randolph, we develop educational design tools and support innovative groups that are working to improve learning experiences for students. PLUSSED+ projects include:
- The Character Lab, an organization committed to research on the development of character strengths in schools and how to implement strategies that build character strengths in teachers and students. It is headed by Angela Duckworth, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania, and founded by Duckworth, Randolph, and Dave Levin of the Kipp Charter School Network.
- Project Knowmad, an innovative summer learning experience started at Riverdale Country School that explores topics such as technology and coding, the arts, and social issues in experiential ways in New York City.
- The Teachers Guild, an nonprofit initiative of PLUSSED+ and IDEO, the global design and innovation firm, that provides an online and in-person professional development platform to support teachers, schools, and districts as they develop solutions to their problems.
- Design Thinking for Educators, a toolkit created by Riverdale and IDEO that demonstrates the process of design thinking. It has been downloaded more than 150,000 times and translated into several languages.
- The Purpose Project, an innovative iOS application and set of lessons developed by Riverdale in collaboration with IDEO that helps young people understand, think about, and plan around their sense of purpose. It has been piloted in more than a dozen schools.
- nXu, a two-year fellowship started with support from Riverdale that helps high school students identify their personal purpose as they pursue their regular school activities.
- The Mastery Transcript Consortium, a group seeking to reconceptualize the grading and college admissions processes in private and public schools in the United States. Riverdale is one of the founders of the group, which now includes more than 200 members.
- The International Positive Education Network (IPEN), a global group of schools, educators, and researchers promoting thriving and well-being inspired by the research and participation of Martin Seligman, founder of the "positive psychology" movement.
- MetaBronx, a co-working space in the South Bronx sponsored by Riverdale that fosters entrepreneurship, supports startups, and provides summer learning opportunities for students in the Bronx.
Innovation in the South Bronx
Partnering with MetaBronx, an innovation and entrepreneurship accelerator in the South Bronx, Riverdale is introducing Riverdale students and students from the Bronx Academy for Software Engineering (BASE) to the how-tos of startups.